SAP HANA (High-Performance Analytic Appliance), an in-memory database is a mix of both hardware and software which incorporates many components like, SAP HANA Database, Replication Server, SAP System Landscape Transformation, SAP HANA Direct Extractor Connection and Sybase Replication Technology. The SAP HANA Database can be categorised into two types- a) Row Store, b) Column Store. It is an advanced ERP solution and is built on C++. It works on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and its major objective is to provide a main-memory oriented data management platform which will support SQL. SAP HANA Database can be distributed to multiple SAP systems and the architecture of this database is exclusive. Because of its distinctive architecture, it is better than other databases.
What comprises the SAP HANA architecture and makes it unique?
Multiple serves which comprise the architecture as follows:
- Index Server – Comprises data stores and engines required for processing of data. It maintains the command of sessions and connections and follows a series of actions to reach a particular end.
- Pre-processor Server – It analyses and extracts data from a text when the search function is being used.
- XS Engine – This is found in XS Server and it gives permission to external developers and applications to get an access to the SAP HANA database through XS Engine. You can construct applications or transform a persistent model to client consumption model by accessing this engine through HTTP.
- Statistic Server – This server will help you to collect data and understand the health of SAP HANA’s system. It will give you an overall view of the performance of the SAP HANA system including source distribution, status and consumption.
- Name Server – This server contains all the necessary details concerning the system landscape. It will give you an idea about the location of data on the server as well as give you the information about each running component.
Among all these, Index Server is the most important one of all the servers.
What are the components present in SAP HANA?
- L-M Structure: All the necessary information regarding the current installations are stored in the L-M structure for SAP HANA database. In case of automatic updates, the stored information will be utilised by the software update manager.
- SAP Host Agent: This is a new approach of SAP. It is mandatory to set up an SAP Host Agent on all the systems which are connected to the SAP landscape. The Adaptive Computing Controller (ACC) will help you to handle all the programmed information of Software Update Manager (SUM) as well as the entire system per se.
- SAP HANA studio repository: As an end user, you can use this tool to update the SAP HANA studio to more advanced versions.
- SAP Solution Manager Diagnostic Agent: This tool provides SAP Solution Manager (SOLMAN) for monitoring the SAP HANA system and also provides alerts regarding disk usage or memory capacity of the CPU.
- SUM for SAP HANA: It provides automatic updates and fixes the SAP host agent when required.
All these exceptional features make SAP HANA Database unique and give it an edge over all other forms of traditional databases.